Understanding the design principles and technical abilities necessary to build aesthetically pleasing and useful websites requires learning web design, whether you know how to code or not. Even while knowing how HTML and CSS work will help you understand how to design for the web, having this expertise is no longer necessary if you want to work as a web designer. There are two ways to learn web design- with and without coding.
If you are a beginner, you have the option to learn web design with & without coding. This article presents the brief.
Web Design with Coding
- HTML and CSS: To create web design, there are two major tools- HTML and CSS which you can learn through online courses. When you join web design courses, you will get to learn the practical lessons through interactive ways.
- Books: There are coding books that can help you learn about web designing. One such is Jon Duckett’s “HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites”.
- Practice: Create simple web pages to start, then progress to more complicated ones as you gain experience.
- Project Based Learning: Build interactive website features like picture sliders or form validations as part of a project-based learning strategy.
Responsive Design and CSS Frameworks:
Discover the concepts of responsive design to build websites that function well across a range of devices.
To hasten development and maintain consistency between projects, become familiar with CSS frameworks like Bootstrap or Foundation.
Version Control and Git:
Learn version control with Git and GitHub to successfully manage code and collaborate on projects.
- Either use Git’s official docs or online classes.
- Learning Web Design without Coding
Graphic Design and Tools
Learn the fundamentals of graphic design and how to use programs like Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, and Figma.
Know colour theory, typography, UI/UX design, and layout design.
- HTML and CSS Frameworks:
Learn HTML and CSS to comprehend the framework and constraints of web design. Moreover, you will also learn about the process of website building. Learn how to use website builders or Content Management Systems (CMS) like WordPress, Wix, and Squarespace that make use of pre-built HTML and CSS templates.
Learn prototype tools like InVision, Figma or Adobe XD, where you will learn to have interactive wireframes and mockups without writing any code. Recognize user activities and flows in a design.
Some tips on learning Web Design
Besides using coding, there are other ways to learn web design-
- Practice Regularly: The best is do regular practice to use by working on your own projects or making contributions to open-source initiatives.
- Keep Up to Date: Web development and design are fields that are continually changing. For the most recent information on trends and technology, subscribe to blogs, and YouTube channels.
- Join Communities: There are many communities where you can like Stack Overflow, Reddit, or regional meetings to interact with the web design community and get knowledge from others.
Keep in mind that the ideal strategy will depend on your learning preferences and objectives. You can have different options of learning web design, be it with or without coding. If you want to learn web design through practical way, MAAC Dunlop is the right institute.